Monday, December 28, 2009

Lexabuti's Christmas Show List - Special




LEXA WISHES YOU A...




Christmas time is here and with most of our series taking a vacation with us; we often sit back on the shows gifted for us this year. Even the ones that met their end early, we still think of them. Here is my Christmas show list.

My Favorite Series' This Year.

20) Prison Break - Prison Break has been my favorite series from episode 1. I remember looking at this new prison drama on television and just staring at Wentworth Miller for the entire episode. Hence the reason I discovered his real name and background. Sarah Wayne Callies was also a familiar one for me. I remembered her from Tarzan, another reason to look at a shirtless guy, boy was I disappointed when it got canceled, just as disappointed when Prison Break got canceled. For the first few seasons I was eager to locate every episode on DVD and the commentaries was worth the DVD compilation. I remember asking the salesman when Season 3 was coming out and the season had not ended yet. As the years grew on this series, they also made a few mistakes by fabricating Sarah's death and the love connection between Sarah and Michael became washed down, not to mention Michael's relationship with his brother. Still this series made it into my top twenty, so that says something.



19) Cupid - Now Cupid the 'remake' in my opinion did not have a strong start. The series copied every detail, word for word from the previous version, but it picked up later on. Compared to all the other series around, I didn't mind having this one around. I kept hoping for a connection between him and Claire. Probably even a glimpse of his life as a god, or the revelation that his 'cupid' state was a temporary hallucination. Even though it ended soon, I appreciated his attempts to make love happen, along with his smarty remarks.



18) S
amantha Who - Comedies can remedy a mellow day, and Samantha Who did the trick. This series was hilarious from the beginning. I remember Christina Applegate from The Sweetest Thing (2002) and I didn't really know how she would have handled a series, but she did successfully. Barry Watson from 7th Heaven also gave me initiative to love the show and appreciate the jokes. It did relate to real life and the mystery to staring over even if you had a horrible past. The only reason it did not make it to my top ten, is solely because it ended to soon and left too many unresolved issues behind.



17) The Unusuals - So what happened to the Unsusuals, it just disappeared without being given a decent chance or any sense of getting noticed. Amber Tamblyn from Joan of Arcadia pointed me in this series' direction, although I didn't ever peg her for a hard boil cop. I still liked the series.



16) Make It or Break It - Well the long break from this series has made it fall back into 'My Top 20' as opposed to being in 'My Top 10', but it still made it. The one thing I loved about this series is its unique appeal to telling a story. The difficulty in athletics could be improved, but the show made me love to really dislike some characters and also root for others that fall behind. Let's hope it keeps up the spirit after Christmas.



15) Robin Hood - There are few BBC shows I actually grow attached to and Robin Hood was one. I remember Googling 'Robin Hood' and discovering that this series existed all the way into the second season. So I borrowed the DVD from a friend and became instantly hooked. Not only did Jonas Armstrong have a strong main character appeal, but you literally could not take your eyes off of him for one second. I am certain he had the ladies falling for him on and off screen. Non-the-less I really admired this series and was saddened by it cancellation. There is no telling where the show would have gone without Armstrong.




14) The Listener - I can't remember how I started watching this one, but I knew I liked it. It was a different touch. I always like series that tell a different story, plus there must be the love chemistry dipped in between, but it still did the trick and I was happy to discover its renewal for a second season. I would love to know how the story is unraveled.




13)
Kath and Kim - Now a lot of people that I knew didn't really take to this show. Some said that it couldn't compare to the Australian version, while others couldn't stand the idiotic acting placed by Selma Blair and Molly Shannon (in their opinion of course), but If you ignore all those facts, this show was really funny. I mean sure Kim was spoiled rotten, but the nonsense was easily eaten up and she actually reminded me of someone I knew, an exact replica.



12) Parks and Recreation - I actually learnt about this show recently by Sidereel's Kendra and Rachel. I especially thank Kendra for pointing me in this shows' direction. At first I thought it was following into 'The Office' footsteps and I said 'Oh no, you can't act like them and come off funny the same way. On the other hand, it turned out to be the opposite. This series is completely different from 'The Office' it is more for the outdoors and carries its own humor with it.



11) Burn N
otice - USA usually brings out a certain type of series, I remember loving Walker Texas Ranger and now Burn Notice comes along. Burn Notice is not only clever, but the cast is incredible. I instantly became familiar with Sam, being a fan of Xena myself and that added an extra bonus to me loving this series and Michael's smile. Although I found this series became a bit repetitive with Michael's mother constantly making appearances, sometimes she comes out of nowhere without a valid storyline to back it up. Why would Michael risk being around his mother while danger follows him around like a magnet? Shouldn't he fake his death and try to get away from her? Anyway, his enemies already know his weakness, what would be the point. That does nothing to keep me from loving this series, especially since getting a taste Season 3.



10) The Office - Without saying, I love this series for its approach to telling a story. The fact that Michael is able to get away with half the things he says is evidence of a brilliant series. I did however think that last season the jokes were a bit edgy, but this season is picking up, hopefully next year it would be in 'My top 5'.








9) In Plain Sight - Brilliant season opener, brilliant season finally, I want more.




8) 10 Things I Hate About You - This series is so funny and that Patrick well, when he first spoke I was like 'what, that voice did not just come out from there', and that was where the magic started. I really do not compare the series to the actual movie, because the series alone it something that stands on its own.




7) 24 - Nonstop drama and action and Jack Bauer. I joined 24 in its Season 4 reign, before I used to think, what kind of show runs in a day via season, but surprisingly I got attached. I instantly began watching the seasons I missed before it and now I am up to par. I thought the Jack and the bio-weapon was a bit of a stretch. Especially since (spoiler) next season he is alive and well and apparently in good condition (end spoiler). Still I loving the excitement and I hope for more Jack and Renee.



6) Bones - I watch a lot of Bones and Booth videos and I just love the chemistry between them. Definitely glad it's in 'My Top 10'.






5) Castle - I didn't think I would like a crime drama so much, usually I just tune in and out, but Castle is just too funny to stay away from.




4) Te
rminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles - As you would see in my most missed series and possibly my previous posts; I really love Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles (TSCC). I mean every episode rocked, The one thing I admire most about this series is that it took time to tell the story. It also has a brilliant cast. Even though Lena Headey obviously shows her English accent in real life, she does a brilliant American one, really cool.







3) Privat
e Practice - I instantly left Grey's Anatomy and became hooked on Private Practice (if you were wondering why Grey's wasn't mentioned here). Season 3 is far more developed and established than Season 1, but that doesn't mean I didn't love Season 1 the same.









2) The Men
talist - Every episode so far has been consistent. I admired Robin Tunney ever since she left Prison Break and she has joined yet another incredible series. Cleverly plotted and witty. I especially admire how they take the time to develop Van Pelt and Rigsby as opposed to rushing in their love story. Very few series bear this kind of quality.









1) Smallville - Last but not least 'Smallville'. For me Smallville claimed the number one position solely because my admiration for Lois and Clark and my Passion for what they represent, being a fan of all 'Superman' creations. I not only await the next episode, but anticipate the series' development.











Favorite New Series

Cougar Town - You can thank Courtney Cox for me loving this series because she is hilarious. I was on board whether or not it was going to be a hit, but I am glad it was a hit. The guy who played Noah in Private Practice is more attractive here than he was before, even though I might not completely adore his character. Still this is one to see if you haven't already.

Accidentally on Purpose - Come on really, I thought this was going to be horrible, and then I laughed my ass off for the first episode. At times, in between, there would be the lazy episode, but overall I wonder how far this one would go.

The Good Wife -Brilliant writing, acting, cleverly plotted and created, what else - a must see.

V - This one is popular, so I am sure there are many that loved it before the first episode aired, solely because it's something different and as of now, a story that hasn't been told before.

Community - A very dirty kind of comedy where you would find friendships in unexpected places and a kind heart in the most worthless person known. Most of all even the end of the series is entertaining.

White Collar - Okay I loved the first episode, but at times it kind of drifted so I am not sure about this one, but I just find the main character to be so attractive, so I am still interested.

Glee - If anyone got a hold of my previous discussion post with respect to Glee, I have my issues with the Terri - Will - Emma triangle, but putting that aside I love the talent portrayed on the show. Mercedes gave a wonderful impression for the finale as well as Rachel and I look forward to more of their performances.


Most Disappointed Canceled Series

Men In Trees - Oh It felt like just the other day I had an excuse to watch James Tupper in action. The finale did not give the series the justice it needed.

Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles - How could they! Completely unexpected.

Cupid - It was just all of a sudden, some didn't really see it coming, but it got the axe.

Robin Hood - Apparently this show it nothing without Jonas Armstrong. Anyway, I really didn't like his relationship with Kate, maybe it's for the best.

Kath and Kim - A person needs more laughter in their life, not sadness.

Xena The Warrior Princess - It’s been Years I know, but I still miss this one.


Most Disappointed Series This Year

NCIS Los Angeles - Really, the acting really sucks, I keep hoping for it to get better, but I stopped watching it weeks ago. Message me if it gets better.

Dollhouse - Well its being canceled, from the beginning I warned that Dollhouse needed to tie up some loose ends if it wanted to survive the push and pull of television and fans, they didn't want to listen.

Gossip Girl - Okay although I believe that there is a possibility for this show to claim another Season, I wouldn't be so surprised if it didn't. What are the writers doing here? I have read better fan fiction that this, come on Gossip Girl, your audience members are actually smart enough to know better, feed us what we want.

The New Adventures of Old Christine - Okay, I was going to put this one in my top twenty, but then I thought how much this season is beginning to disappoint me. It had a strong start and then it got lost somewhere.

Prison Break - I loved Season 1 and 2, surprisingly Season 3, but they sort of ruin Michael and Sarah for me. Season 4 went sour for me. It sad when a good series takes this plunge.


My Christmas Wish-list

The Renewal of Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles. There have been rumors, but I want an official word. The series was consistent from episode one and didn't deserve to be axed.

For Gossip Girl to either Move Up or Move out.

Most of all, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and thank those who came on board my blog, you are greatly appreciated. Also a Merry Christmas to those who commented and debated with me, I guess I wouldn't have anyone to share my online thoughts with if it weren't for you guys.

Lexa wishes Everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: